We’ve spent more than 30 years collecting moving tips that will help you save money and create a stress-free transition. As the largest franchised moving company in the United States, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK is lucky to have experts spread all across the country. And who better to ask for moving tips than the men and women who help move customers forward every single day?
We’ve carefully compiled these tips from our top movers across the country. If you’re preparing to move, we hope these bits of wisdom will come in handy!
KEEPING YOUR MOVE ON SCHEDULE
- Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it’s time to move.
- Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day. When you call, be sure to ask movers if they are insured, and ask for a copy of the policy. Also, ask what kind of equipment is supplied. William “Bill” Baareman, General Manager, Bentonville, AR
- Submit your change of address frm about a week before your move date.
- Schedule disconnect times for cable, phone, and utilities about a week before your move day, and then make sure utilities in your new home will be turned on by the time you move in.
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning help, and lawn services about a week before you move.
- Wait to pack your cleaning supplies (broom, dust cloth, mop, etc.) until you’ve done your last cleanup—especially if you have a security deposit. Don’t forget to clean your stove and defrost the fridge!
- Start packing early, and read our tips on how to get packed up before the big move!
EASY-TO-FORGET MOVING REMINDERS
- Don’t leave the hardware to your furniture at your old place. When you take something apart, put all the little parts and screws in a bag. Then tape the bag to the piece, so you won’t have to track down the parts. Doug Hartman, Operations Manager, Akron, OH
- Before moving large appliances, check your owner’s manual for special instructions. Items like washers and dryers often need special handling.
- Don’t forget to take art off your walls, disconnect electronics, or pack the items in your yard. Terry Little, General Manager, Mooresville, NC
- Dispose of any items that moving companies are not allowed to transport by law. These items include gasoline, bottled gases and other flammables, ammunition, and explosives.
- Have an essentials grab bag. Have your toothbrush, chargers, basically the essentials you might need for the next 72 hours. It’s not an emergency situation, but if you treat it as if it were one, it makes the whole move a lot easier. Justin Broberg, Assistant Operations Manager, Sacramento, CA
HOW TO ENSURE A SMOOTH MOVE DAY
- Make your kids feel important by giving them a job to do. Have them do little, meaningful tasks that help them stay out of the way. Justin Broberg, Assistant Operations Manager, Sacramento, CA
- Have enough snacks and cash on hand to get you through the day.
- Use felt pads to protect your wood or tile floors and prevent scratches. Douglas Mitchelly, Operations Manager, Melbourne, FL